Current:Home > reviewsElon Musk says doubt about spam accounts could doom Twitter deal -FundPrime
Elon Musk says doubt about spam accounts could doom Twitter deal
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 05:53:30
LONDON — Tesla CEO Elon Musk says his deal to buy Twitter can't move forward unless the company shows public proof that less than 5% of the accounts on the social media platform are fake or spam.
Musk made the comment in a reply to another user on Twitter early Tuesday. He spent much of the previous day in a back-and-forth with Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal, who posted a series of tweets explaining his company's effort to fight bots and how it has consistently estimated that less than 5% of Twitter accounts are fake.
In his tweet Tuesday, Musk said that "20% fake/spam accounts, while 4 times what Twitter claims, could be much higher. My offer was based on Twitter's SEC filings being accurate."
He added: "Yesterday, Twitter's CEO publicly refused to show proof of 5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does."
Twitter declined to comment.
It's Musk's latest salvo over inauthentic accounts, a problem he has said he wants to rid Twitter of.
At a Miami technology conference Monday, Musk estimated that at least 20% of Twitter's 229 million accounts are spam bots, a percentage he said was at the low end of his assessment, according to a Bloomberg News report.
The battle over spam accounts kicked off last week when Musk tweeted that the Twitter deal was on on hold pending confirmation of the company's estimates that they make up less than 5% of total users.
Also at the All In Summit, Musk gave the strongest hint yet that he would like to pay less for Twitter than the $44 billion offer he made last month.
He said a viable deal at a lower price would not be out of the question, according to the report by Bloomberg, which said it viewed a livestream video of the conference posted by a Twitter user.
Musk's comments are likely to bolster theories from analysts that the billionaire either wants out of the deal or to buy the company at a cheaper price. His tweet Tuesday came in reply to one from a Tesla news site speculating that Musk "may be looking for a better Twitter deal as $44 billion seems too high."
"Twitter shares will be under pressure this morning again as the chances of a deal ultimately getting done is not looking good now," Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives, who covers both Twitter and Tesla, said in a research note. He estimated that there's "60%+ chance" that Musk ends up walking away from the deal and paying the $1 billion breakup fee.
Musk made the offer to buy Twitter for $54.20 per share on April 14. Twitter shares have slid since then and are now down by just over 8%, to close at $37.39 on Monday.
To finance the acquisition, Musk pledged some of his Tesla shares, which have slumped by about a third since the deal was announced.
veryGood! (79)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Will Laura Dern Return for Big Little Lies Season 3? She Says...
- EPA proposes a fee aimed at reducing climate-warming methane emissions
- Mississippi Supreme Court won’t hear appeal from death row inmate convicted in 2008 killing
- Trump's 'stop
- Simone Biles talks Green Bay Packers fans, husband Jonathan Owens, Taylor Swift at Lambeau
- 15 Slammin' Secrets of Save the Last Dance
- From Elvis to Lisa Marie Presley, Inside the Shocking Pileup of Tragedy in One Iconic Family
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Alabama court says state can make second attempt to execute inmate whose lethal injection failed
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Lawmakers may look at ditching Louisiana’s unusual ‘jungle primary’ system for a partisan one
- For Republican lawmakers in Georgia, Medicaid expansion could still be a risky vote
- A refugee bear from a bombed-out Ukraine zoo finds a new home in Scotland
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- A Proud Boys member who wielded an axe handle during the Capitol riot gets over 4 years in prison
- Defamation case against Nebraska Republican Party should be heard by a jury, state’s high court says
- From Elvis to Lisa Marie Presley, Inside the Shocking Pileup of Tragedy in One Iconic Family
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Spain forward Jenni Hermoso says former coach Jorge Vilda made players feel uncomfortable
GOP candidate Vivek Ramaswamy talks need for fresh leadership, Iowa caucuses
Lawmakers investigating UAPs, or UFOs, remain frustrated after closed-door briefing with government watchdog
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Family sues school district over law that bans transgender volleyball player from girls’ sports
2 brothers fall into frozen pond while ice fishing on New York lake, 1 survives and 1 dies
Federal jury finds Puerto Rico ex-legislator Charbonier guilty on corruption charges